Filler is largely hyaluronic acid gel. Hyaluronic acid is a complex sugar normally found in the skin, muscles, and tendons.
It is injected using a sharp needle a blunt cannula.
Hyaluronic acid can absorb up to 1,000 times its own weight in water, thereby adding new volume under the surface of sagging skin.
Fillers come with numbing medicines inside them. Most people tolerate it, but for some people and some areas, extra freezing with numbing creams may be needed. Occasionally, a numbing injection gives more comfort.
It is used by cosmetic physicians to soften deep folds and reduce wrinkles in the face, for example, smile lines. It is also used for lip augmentation. Another important use of it is for cheek and chin augmentation. It gives volume and hydration to an ageing face and rejuvenates it.
All hyaluronic acid facial filler products are eventually absorbed by the body, usually within six to twelve months, requiring the patient to undergo repeat injections to maintain the younger look.
Expected side effects include: temporary redness, pain, tenderness during injection(s), swelling and/or bruising at the injection site. The more serious side effects include: infection, bumps and granulomas which are caused by a delayed immune reaction of the body to the fillers which is rare and can be bothersome to treat.
It should not be used for patients with severe allergies, particularly those who have allergies to bacterial proteins or patients with a history of anaphylaxis. Fillers are not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding ladies. It cannot be injected if there is skin infection.
It usually lasts for about 3 months but it varies in different people and sites of injection.
It is seen very rarely in its cosmetic use. Make sure you inform your doctor of any medical problems or medications you take. Seek immediate medical attention if swallowing, speech or respiratory problems arise. The most common side effect is weakness of undesired muscles leading to asymmetry in face features like eyebrow, drooping of eyelids. These are not permanent and can usually be managed at the follow-up session. As with all biologic products, an anaphylactic reaction may occur.